Gambling Statistics: A Comprehensive Overview of the Gambling Industry
How much do you know about gambling? Are you familiar with different gambling demographics and trends? Do you know any fun or surprising gambling facts? Would you like to discover some more?
Certain gambling statistics provide great insight into the state of gambling in the US and worldwide and some numbers that we’ll focus on in this blog will show you just how much gambling habits differ from country to country, which casino games are more popular in one location compared to others, how prevalent problem gambling is on the whole, and more.
Ultimate Guide to Gambling Statistics
To understand where gambling is at the moment and where it’s headed, we’re going to look at some incredible numbers from the past several years.
We will start with some global gambling statistics shown through market research done by a specialized firm, then look at the differences between the American gambling statistics and other countries (such as Italy, UK, etc.), then investigate the differences – if any – between different demographics, follow that up with some AskGamblers-focused stats, and, finally, go over the numbers regarding problem gambling.
Global Gambling Statistics
Online gambling is a multi-billion dollar industry, as shown through these incredible worldwide gambling statistics:
- According to data from the market research firm H2 Gambling Capital, the global online gambling market was valued at approximately $45.8 billion in 2018
- According to data from the market research firm H2 Gambling Capital, the global online gambling market was valued at approximately $46.96 billion in 2019
- According to data from the market research firm H2 Gambling Capital, the global online gambling market was valued at approximately $53.7 billion in 2020
- According to data from the market research firm H2 Gambling Capital, the global gambling market was valued at approximately $450 billion in 2018
- According to data from the market research firm H2 Gambling Capital, the global gambling market was valued at approximately $465 billion in 2019
- According to data from the market research firm H2 Gambling Capital, the global gambling market was valued at approximately $481 billion in 2020
Interesting Global Gambling Statistics
Here are some more interesting gambling statistics, some of which will truly put into perspective just how popular online and land-based gambling is:
- According to Statista, the United State of America had 466 commercial and 515 tribal casinos operating nationwide in 2021
- According to Travel Weekly, more than 32.2 million people visited Las Vegas casinos in 2021 which is almost double than 2020’s 19 million
- 73% of Vegas visitors in 2021 said they were there to gamble
- According to Nevada Gaming Commission the revenue from January to September 2022 for land-based casinos is $10.6 million
- According to Statista, the total gross gaming revenue of U.S. casinos amounted to approximately 53.03 billion U.S. dollars in 2021
- According to Zion Market Research online gambling market was worth about $61.5 billion in 2021
Gambling Statistics by Countries
You’ve probably already guessed gambling statistics differ from country to country. Naturally, there are numerous reasons why this might be the case. The most relevant factors are usually cultural and social norms of one nation or country, its legal and regulatory frameworks, and even the availability and accessibility of different types of gambling.
While gambling is legal under United States federal law, all states may regulate gambling within their borders as they see fit. That means that different states allow different types of gambling.
In 2021, gross gaming revenue in the United States reached $53 billion, after growing significantly during 2020 as impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
This was the market revenue value in 2021, as shown through quarters:
- Q1 – $11.13 billion
- Q2 – $13.6 billion
- Q3 – $13.89 billion
- Q4 – $14.31 billion
In total: $14.31 billion
Gambling has been legal in Macau since the 1850s. Back then it was the Portuguese government that had legalized gambling activities, and since then, Macau has been known as the “Gambling capital of the world” and even “Monte Carlo of the East”.
Bovada Login As of 2019, Macau has 41 casinos, of which the biggest and one of the most famous ones is The Venetian Macao.
According to Statista, the gambling revenue in Macau in 2021 reached approximately $1 billion.
In the United Kingdom, arcades, betting, bingo, casinos, gaming machine providers, gambling software providers, lottery operators, external lottery managers, and remote gambling (online and by phone) are regulated by the Gambling Commission.
As of 31 March 2021, there were a total of 2,439 operators licensed by the Gambling Commission.
Bovada Login During the period between April 2021 and March 2022, the industry generated a GGY of £14.08 billion, which translates to $17 billion. This was an increase compared to the previous year with its total of £12.69 billion.
According to Italian criminal law, gambling is illegal. However, the Italian government says there is a difference between games of chance and skill-based games. Sports-betting, lotteries, and some other activities are recognized as legal gambling activities.
That said, only the State has the power to allow Bovada Login gambling and gambling in Italy is regulated by AAMS. AAMS has the power to issue licenses.
Statistics state that Italy saw a yearly revenue of €111 billion ($118 billion).
Most Popular Types of Gambling
While most casino games are available worldwide, certain types of casino games are more popular in one country compared to another.
- According to Statista, Coin Master was the highest grossing casino game in the world in November 2022, having generated over $71.66 million. Bingo Blitz was ranked second with $21.98 million.
- According to the UK Gambling Commission, the National Lottery accounted for about 25% of all gambling revenue in the United Kingdom in 2019.
- Slot machines are the most popular casino games in the United States, according to a report by the American Gaming Association. It is said that slots constitute approximately 70% of all revenue generated by casinos.
- According to the Macau Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau, baccarat accounted for 61% of the total revenue generated by the gaming industry in Macau in 2020. Slot machines and table games each added up to 22% and 14%.
- According to data from the Italian Gaming Authority (AGCOM), the lottery accounted for about 47% of all revenue generated by the gaming industry in Italy in 2020. Sports betting and slot machines accounted for 31% and 21%, respectively.
Bovada Login Gambling activities tend to differ from country to country, so it’s hard to make generalizations in this case. However, certain research shows that there are differences between gambling trends and habits of men and women, as shown below.
10 Interesting Statistics about Women and Gambling
As stated beforehand, certain differences have been noted between the gambling tendencies of men versus women, as shown by the following statistics:
- In certain countries, women are more likely to gamble than men; this includes Canada, where 56% of women report having gambled in the past year, compared to 48% of men – “Prevalence of gambling and problem gambling in Canada: Findings from the Canadian Community Health Survey” by Elton-Marshall, T., Welte, J. W., & Derevensky, J. (2013)
- In the United States, women are more likely to play lottery games and scratch cards than men, while men are more likely to engage in sports betting and casino games – “Gambling Participation and Problem Gambling Among Women in the United States” by Shaffer, H. J., LaBrie, R. A., LaPlante, D. A., Kidman, R. C., & Donato, A. N. (2009)
- Women are more likely to gamble for social or entertainment purposes, while men are more likely to gamble for financial gain – “Gender differences in the characteristics of pathological gamblers using the South Oaks Gambling Screen” by Petry, N. M., & Weinstock, J. (2007)
- Women are more likely to experience negative consequences from gambling, such as financial problems, relationship problems, and mental health issues – “Gender differences in the negative consequences of gambling” by Dowling, N. A., Smith, G. J., & Thomas, S. (2008)
- Women who gamble are more likely to report experiencing problems with their gambling, such as feeling guilty or ashamed, losing more money than intended, and having difficulty stopping – “Gender differences in the prevalence and characteristics of pathological gamblers using DSM-IV criteria” by Petry, N. M., Stinson, F. S., & Grant, B. F. (2005)
- Women who gamble are more likely to have co-occurring mental health disorders, like depression and anxiety – “The prevalence and correlates of co-occurring addiction and mental health disorders in the United States: Results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions” by Grant, B. F., Stinson, F. S., Dawson, D. A., Chou, P. S., Dufour, M. C., Compton, W., … & Pickering, R. (2004)
- Women who gamble are more likely to report feeling lonely, stressed, or anxious before gambling – “Gambling and problem gambling among college students: A review of the literature” by Petry, N. M., & Weinstock, J. (2007)
- Women who gamble are more likely to have lower levels of education and income than men who gamble – “Gambling and problem gambling among low-income women: Prevalence and correlates” by Dickerson, M. G., & O’Neil, J. M. (2008)
- Women who gamble are more likely to report gambling to escape from problems or to cope with negative emotions – “Gambling and problem gambling among college students: A review of the literature” by Petry, N. M., & Weinstock, J. (2007)
- Women who gamble are more likely to seek help for their gambling problems, but they may also face barriers to accessing treatment, such as stigma, lack of awareness, and lack of availability of specialized services – “Barriers to treatment seeking among pathological gamblers” by Petry, N. M., & Weinstock, J. (2007)
AskGamblers Gambling Statistics
While these stats are ever-changing, and the numbers keep growing daily, at the time of writing these were the most important AskGamblers gambling statistics:
- We have helped over 18,300 players via our Casino Complaint Service
- AskGamblers has returned over $52,615,312 via our Casino Complaint Service
- Over 2,544 casinos have been reviewed by our experts
- Over 10,420 slots have been published
- There are over 143,000 forum posts on our website
Gambling Addiction Statistics
Bovada Login Problem gambling is said to be any gambling behaviour that compromises or disrupts one’s personal, family, or work endeavours. There are ways to notice and monitor such behavioural patterns, which is why it’s important to be aware of gambling addiction facts.
Some Staggering Gambling Addiction Statistics
When it comes to gambling addiction, the numbers are truly not insignificant. In fact:
- Approximately 2.6% of the US adult population battles gambling addiction, according to the National Council on Problem Gambling
- About 1% of the adult population in the United States are pathological gamblers, while another 2-3% are considered to be problem gamblers, as estimated by the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago
- Men are more likely to develop a gambling addiction than women, with a ratio of about 3:1, according to the National Council on Problem Gambling
- The National Institute of Mental Health estimates that between 2-3% of children in the United States have a gambling problem
- The National Council on Problem Gambling estimates that gambling addiction costs the United States between $6 billion and $15 billion each year
- According to the National Council on Problem Gambling, about 80% of people with a gambling addiction report having experienced physical or emotional abuse during their childhood
- Gambling addiction has been linked to higher rates of depression, anxiety, and substance abuse
- People who have a family history of addiction or mental health issues are at a higher risk of developing gambling addiction
- Gambling addiction can lead to financial problems, including bankruptcy, debt, and loss of property and assets
- Treatment of gambling addiction often includes therapy, support groups, and medication
What Is the Future of Gambling?
Bovada Login In truth, no one can fully predict what’s next for gambling as it’s an ever-changing, ever-growing industry. However, certain predictions say that by 2025 online sportsbooks will overtake land-based sports betting in the United States.